Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year, New You?

New Year, New You?

It's that time again, time for the classic, and often dreaded New Year's resolution. One of those things that I personally often considering putting off until the Monday after New Years, just to give myself some time to adjust and reset in the New Year. Is creating a monotonous list of things to achieve in a year, practical, or stress inducing? How much change can one person make in a year, and how much change is healthy? Will the changes make us happy or ultimately lead us down winding paths of confusion as we try to find our purpose and avoid making the same mistakes? I hope that this year brings wellness and peace, I have had enough stress for a while, and plan to harvest new energies and abilities as I strengthen my relationships with loved ones, most importantly, myself. I think it takes time to truly know oneself, and maintain an insightful level of awareness in order to avoid the negative impact of the world around us. Free time is something that we often lack, and would certainly welcome more of. As we step into a new year's journey, we must ask ourselves what we can do to love and care for ourselves and those who are important to us, without falling short and fizzling out. Spending less time feeling the need to be ENTERTAINED is a goal of mine this year, as I attempt to grasp a quiet calm and overall sense of being. Meditation is a skill that can be utilized in any setting during any time of day, even in the shower as you start or end your day. Practicing meditation is something that I am new to, and am eager to pursue. Here are some tips to help us get comfortable with creating a meditation routine, and welcoming its benefits into our daily life. 

1. Make it meaningful. Set a time, and stick to it- if you usually spend 15 minutes hitting snooze, get out of bed or pop in your headphones and listen to a guided meditation instead

2. Center yourself- If focusing is difficult at first, use a candle or picture, even a moving background of waves or a stream, whatever eases the relaxation process. Using aromatherapy as a way to focus your thoughts is also helpful, and you will find that it is easy to connect feelings of calm and relaxation to certain scents. For me, my favorites include- Vanilla Lavender, Sandalwood Vanilla, and my Focus Blend which combines Wild Orange/ Grapefruit and Peppermint. All can be found here - Aromatherapy Blends for Relaxation

3. Stay open minded and try new things- If you are new to this like me, it can be helpful to try different styles of guided meditations. One thing that I have noticed that makes a difference is the voice of the person conducting the meditation, I was recently thrown off by a heavy British accent, which easily distracted me. Listening to meditations that include the Tibetan singing bowls has helped me to stay centered and calm. Try this think on YouTube- Tibetan Singing Bowl Relaxation

4. Use a powerful statement or Mantra, but don't feel restricted. If something speaks to you, and helps you center your thoughts..GO FOR IT. If not, don't stress, just do what works, in time one may emerge or you may use beads or a sand tray to help you focus prior to meditating. 

5. Even a few minutes can produce a sense of wellness. Do not feel constricted by time restraints, do what you can, and hopefully as you start to see the results of incorporating mediation into your daily life, you may find that you are making more time for this practice. 




<3

No comments:

Post a Comment